Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Required Listening

Today, Bruce Springsteen released We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions. I've only been able to hear the first four songs and now I have to go to work. Tonight, I will listen to the rest. So far, this is knocking me on my ass. "O Mary Don't You Weep" is absolutely giving me goosebumps.

Recorded in only three days, this tribute to the songs of Pete Seeger is chilling it is so great. I'll write more on this after I punch the time clock late tonight. For now, I'll leave you with this mini-review:

These classic tunes from Pete Seeger's songbook, recorded with the legendary protest singer's original band, sparkle with heartfelt emotion and grace. All the songs were recorded live in the living room of Springsteen's Jersey farmhouse, without rehearsal, giving them a sense of urgency and fun that has been missing from the Boss's work for a mighty long time. His most vital and energized work in a couple decades.
- Jon Maples


By all means, get this album and improve your state of mind.

No comments: