Saturday, August 29, 2009

Demolition Derby

I've seen two demolition derbies in my life. The first one, my friend George who worked at the Mapco near my old record store on Nolensville Road, bought a car for cheap and entered it at the Nashville Fairgrounds. My buddies and I went to cheer him on for something different from our usual routine of going to 328 Performance Hall or Ace of Clubs to hear music followed by an hour or so dining at our favorite Waffle House talking about music.

Anyway, George's car never did start and he was pretty much toast from the beginning. As I recall, his car was eventually pushed up vertically against a tower of dirt until his car flipped over.and George spent the rest of the derby watching the goings-on while sitting upside down from the safety (?) of his vehicle. My friends and I (including George) had a great time, but for whatever reason we never went back for more.

Here are a bunch of pictures from the Wilson County Fair's demolition derby.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you know that your great-great
cousin was a demolition derby king?
he truly was the greatest of them
all. his name was Colonel "Crash"
Brown and he lived in westmoreland,
TN. daddy announced for him and mom
was totally mortified about it all.
imagine a lieutenant in the USAF
talking trash about a car crasher
like that?!? mom didn't like it a
bit! love - mom