Sunday, May 17, 2009

Considering Jobs Within Walking Distance

I'd love to have a job or a part-time job that's in walking distance. Of course, as Steven Wright says, "Everything's walking distance if you have the time." There are a lot of businesses in my area, but none that are necessarily hiring or that pay considerably well. Still, while I'm still trying to figure out my niche, most any half-decent gig should suffice. There's a library and a police station, a hospital and a boat company. There are also several retail shops, restaurants and markets. A frame shop in the area looks interesting. If nothing else, I could learn to make my own walls look more interesting with the knowledge and experience I'd get working in that environment.

When I worked at Turtles Records, I lived less than two miles from the shop and although I had a good car, I would walk down Nolensville Road to work from time to time. That walk did so much to help me really get to know and appreciate my neighborhood better. It wasn't quite the internationally diverse area that it is now, but I still felt enriched to know a world beyond that in which I was raised.

Anyway, I'm in Hermitage now and I find myself walking more out of necessity than desire, but the good vibes from the small journeys are still with me. To quote the good people of Poi Dog Pondering, "You get to know things better when they go by slow."

Indeed.

1 comment:

Tom Williamson said...

Try using http://www.jobwalk.com

This will display jobs located within walking distance of your home.