Sunday, May 14, 2006

All Of His Skies Are Vanilla

I love Tom Cruise. I just watched Magnolia again on IFC and just couldn't get enough of watching Tom's eyes as the misogynist, hurting son. He's a movie star among movie stars. I haven't watched M:i:III yet, but that is only because I don't have the money or the time for movies nowadays. When the DVD comes out, I'll be sure to watch it and focus on it as well as I can with two screaming kids running about my living room.

Tom's religion is not my religion. Big deal. His views are not my views but his profession is my passion. Everyone is sticking up for Brooke Shields lately after Mr. Cruise's attack on her views on post-partum depression and its treatments. That said, I imagine even Brooke finds herself channel surfing and stopping at Jerry Maguire and thinking, "I don't know about Tom Cruise, but Jerry Maguire sure could complete me." And who would fault her there? Dude looks great.

4 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This is so big of you! I inadvertently surfed across "The Firm" a few weeks ago, and I just couldn't see Cruise in the same light as I used to...no matter how much I try to give him credit for excelling at his profession.

Same for Michael Jackson; his accomplishments are so diminished these days.

Crazy's Ok. Unglued is...sometimes understandable. Out of control...all right. It's a tough industry. The God Complex gets to me though. Earth to Tom: Please don't eat the placenta.

Woof said...

I think we're being force-fed entirely too much information about entertainment figures. Tom Cruise in "Magnolia" is an excellent example of good acting by a person who seems a bit bat**** loony in his personal life; Nick Nolte in "Affliction" is another.

I'm still trying to get the image of Jack Kerouac vomiting up his liver, dying an alcoholic anti-Semitic out of my head so that I can better enjoy his novels again.

melusina said...

I've never been fond of Tom Cruise. I almost died when he was cast in Interview with a Vampire, but he performed satisfactorily. I agree he was quite good in Magnolia, and I've enjoyed a movie or two of his since then, but I am not really thrilled with the way his publicity is going. I find him to be irresponsible, if he'd just stick to acting, it might be different.

Momo said...

Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies of all time...

Magnolia, too.

And I agree - we watch them as actors, like the characters they play - who are they as people?? I don't know and sometimes, don't want to...