Friday, May 05, 2006

Han Shoots First

Coming to a DVD near you. Finally!

Good for George Lucas for sticking to his guns and releasing this to the fans while still exclaiming that it is "not the definitive" version of his series. He released them his way in 2004, fans complained and got all snarky but bought them anyway, and now he's releasing them the way that we wanted them in the first place for a "limited time only." And so we can all rush out and buy them untarnished by changes. Could it be that this was the plan the whole time? Fine with me. It's on my list.

Now I can see Greedo get blown away with his blaster still in its holster by a tough pirate named Han Solo. I can see Sebastian Shaw again as Anakin Skywalker in the final scenes of Return Of The Jedi. And I don't have to watch a computer animated creature step in poop near Mos Eisley...you know, for the kids.

It's Star Wars as I remember it from 1977. So what if it wasn't George's original vision. It's what my original vision of it was as a seven year old kid watching it with my dad in the old Cinema South movie theater on Nolensville Road. And it made me a Star Wars fan for life. So Mr. Lucas, I'll play your game. I'll buy whatever you make. And I'll buy however many versions of it you choose to release. You had me at "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

No comments: