Sunday, May 07, 2006

High Point

A few nights ago, my younger son woke up around 1:00 A.M. just as I was getting ready for bed after a long night's work. He stood at the top of the stairs calling out, "Daddy, I'm here."

I climbed the steps in the dark to where he was and told him that he really should be asleep. My cherub replied that he was scared, so I sat down next to him and did my best to comfort him. To take his mind off of whatever was making him afraid, I asked him questions about his day. I asked him if he played with his friends at daycare and I asked him if he practiced walking a straight line with his classmates for his teacher. I hugged him and told him how much I loved him. He said it back to me and made me so happy.

In our silent home, we just sat together in the dark talking quietly. After a few minutes, I ushered him to bed where he quickly fell back to sleep. And I went back to the top step and sat for a few more minutes reflecting on my life. Before my little guy had woken up, I was downstairs worrying about any number of things. And now I was happy and at peace as my family slept in good health. Just who had comforted whom that night? He certainly helped me feel better. And for that, I am grateful.

No comments: