Monday, December 11, 2006

December and Very Blue



My friend posted some excellent pictures of Nashville on his blog today and one of them reminded me of this one. Same background, except this one features this blogger's mug.

Every year, every December, I get like this. Blame it on the gray skies, blame it on relative poverty amidst consumer mania, but I just get lonely although surrounded by love and feel poor despite a refrigerator filled with food. Although enlightened do-gooders remind us that "Christmas is not your birthday," we can still feel enormous pressure to buy nice things for the people we love.

Tonight, I changed out of my work uniform in the locker room and I gave myself a minute to reflect on the road I've been paving for myself. It's my own personal Route 66, rich with history and mostly content to be the path less traveled, but all the while studying the faster and more modern highway and feeling a touch of envy. Not enough envy to change my style though. With my pace comes the most beautiful appreciation of the softer and more quiet amenities of life.

Peaceful solitude with Nice Drake's Pink Moon playing through these laptop speakers is my current state of grace. Some customers treated me poorly this evening. But I think that at this minute they might be looking for reasons to be angry at life and I'm relaxing at home and enjoying the art of beautiful music and looking for reasons to be happy. I'm finding those reasons with ease. I'm finding them in coworkers who really do value me as their friend. I'm finding them in the customers who are not like the aforementioned customers. And I'm most easily finding them in my family, the ones who are crazy about me day in and day out. Born into one loving family and married into another, I've done quite well for myself.

But December still does its thing. It's changing my age in a week. Who knows? Maybe I'm just getting started.

6 comments:

Corey Webb said...

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like them.

Anonymous said...

Where is that "believe" building? I've been feeling the December, too. It's usually November and January for me, but right now my mind and heart are just muddled with December. Blah.

chez bez said...

Hey Shauna,

It's right next to Katy K's Ranch Dressing on 12th South, down the street from Mirror.

My best to you.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Aaah! I was pretty sure I had seen it before, but couldn't recall where. Thanks.

Hurple said...

Well, you may have your own personal Route 66, but I live just a few miles from THE Route 66. I get to travel a little bit of it everyday on my way to/from work. So there!

Hurple said...

Well, you may have your own personal Route 66, but I live just a few miles from THE Route 66. I get to travel a little bit of it everyday on my way to/from work. So there!