Sunday, December 10, 2006

Pissy Little Cuss

The good news is that I ran three miles today.

The bad news is that I've been a pissy little cuss since daybreak.

This is 20-something year old Mike looking at 30-something year old Mike and wondering what the hell happened. This gut is unacceptable. The 32 inch waist gave way to the 34 inch waist a good while back and I've been at peace with that. But now the 34 inch waist jeans are getting harder and harder to fasten and there is no mystery as to why.

And so today, I went into work early so that I could use the hotel health club (nice perk). I ran on that treadmill for a good 55 minutes with a television hanging in my face. What was on? Rocky III. It seems someone knew I needed some motivation today. (I don't want to give anything away but Mr. T sure took a beating at the end of the movie.) I watched the film with the sound off and the closed captioning on (hilariously wrong very often) and with my iPod playing Himmelman and Tom Waits. If you think it's ridiculous to work out to the sounds of Tom Waits, I offer you "Filipino Box Spring Hog" from Mule Variations. It was perfect for a good hard steady rhythm. And the guttural barks and howls fit my mood to a T.

With the movie over and the workout completed, I showered and changed and took to my shift at the house of Punch The Clock. I should preface to say that it actually was a good day. My wages were good and, financially, it was the kind of day that most folks absent a college degree don't often see. I worked steadily and was well rewarded for my efforts. But it was also a day of many tedious and annoying little failures. There are many details I won't go into because I'd hate to get fired for blogging about work, but I can say that I related to cousin Larry of Perfect Strangers. (In fact, now that I think of it, I think that Larry's life closely mirrors that of my own.)

Remember in Perfect Strangers, that one recurring gag was that whenever Larry would come home from work, he would toss hiss jacket cooly across the room to his coat rack? And remember that his coat would always just miss said rack and fall to the floor? The humor wasn't just that he missed. The humor was in his face afterward. It was the face of defeat expected. (Thank God that the defeated have such an ability to see the humor in their situations.)

Today, my gag was that everytime I would approach the elevator with a cart full of luggage, it would always be surprisingly already at the first floor as if waiting for me. Then, my good luck too good to be true, it would begin its ascent away from me just as my thumb would press the button for the doors to open. And I would stand there with my cart - time being of the essence with my work - watching the elevator rise away from me and almost laughing at me as I remained motionless. My eyes are on the numbers above the elevator door and the camera crew for Perfect Strangers catches my face of accepted - and expected - defeat. (Cue the laughtrack.) It's not that it happened. It's that it happened time and time again.

I received two gifts today and I'm confused as to how I should/do feel.
  1. One birthday card from the workplace. I'm a sucker for small things and was happy to open it and play my favorite game of Guess That Executive Committee Member's Signature. But I was thrown for a loop when I saw that I was the recipient of two free employee meals. (That's a total value of $6.50 for those who don't work with me.) Gift horse lesson aside, it all of a sudden seemed kind of cheap to me. But keep in mind that I liked it before I knew that I even received any gift at all. I think I'm just being bitter and unfair, but I'm not sure.
  2. One Christmas card from the workplace. In it was a very well received gift card to a local mall for the sum of $50. No skepticism there. That's a good and well needed card. But then I found out that most of the employees in other departments got cards for twice the value. Now, I'm pissed where I was earlier elated. Sure, other departments might hold higher value to the company and require higher training and such, but I've also been here for over a decade and got my $50 where some new hires in other departments are opening $100 gift cards just because they don't push a bellcart or drive a shuttle for a living.
Enough venting. And before any kind bloggers give me too many kudos for my good health workout from earlier today, keep in mind that this post has been brought to you by one now empty bottle of cheap white Zin and the rest of a bag of Doritos. And it's 1:00 A.M. and I'm still a pissy little cuss.

Maybe I'll wake up in a better mood tomorrow. I'll bet my loving family hopes so, too. They put up with me and I am forever humbled.

[Edit to add: I lost my internet connection mere seconds after I hit "publish." Oh, how pissed I would have been had I lost all of those rambling words from above. Small favors.]

[Update: I should mention that I don't feel that a $50 gift card is cheap at all. I am quite happy to receive it. It just seems that within a workplace like mine where people are always talking with friends in other departments, that it isn't the smartest decision to give varying values of gifts to everyone. Everyone loves a gift until it's revealed that someone else got a nicer one. And in more recent news, I found out that while my card was half the value of some, it was also twice the value of others. If we all got the same amount, we wouldn't have reason for envy.]

6 comments:

Lynnster said...

Yeah, I am with you on the Christmas gift card thing. In such cases I think the only thing that's fair is to give everyone the exact same thing across the board, or do what they do where I work (everyone's bonus is a % of their salary, but it's the same % for everyone).

As for the rest, my just-turned-40 self stopped listening to my 20-something self ages ago, it just got too irritating and I wanted to smack her all the time. :D

Hope you have a better day when you get up again!

Sam Davidson said...

Start a union. I'm sure that would make some noise.
:)

Jessica said...

My company gives out a $25 Christmas Bonus... After taxes, it's $12.35. Yea!

White Zin and Doritos? Dude.... that burp is gonna be rank!

S said...

The bosses at your job are cheap bastards, dont sugar coat it.
Stupid jerks.
For ten years you got that?
You know that money isn't everything, and you have more personal freedom than other emps, and I bet you dont go home at night worrying about your luggage cart.
First time I went to India, to begin my textile importing thing, all I got from my local acquaintances was, "How come you are not rich yet? How come you dont have any employees? How come you still work out of your home?"

(If they dont know why, I ain't gonna tell them!)

You cannot get your life back...freedom is more important than anything.

;)

Anonymous said...

Do you get taxed for gifts? That sucks that you got less... that's just not fair, given how you probably work harder than some people in the other departments.

Chin up! you're better than them.

Heidi said...

nickel and dimed, nickel and dimed. this is why i escape into science fiction...so often the stories are the way things ought to be.

i agree a union sounds like a good idea.