Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with Natalie Cole here.

Music veteran Natalie Cole says she doesn't think Amy Winehouse should have taken home any Grammys last night.
"This is about discipline and hard work, and you don't get to just do your drugs and go onstage and get rewarded," Cole told People.


I can appreciate where she's coming from with this. She's an awesome talent herself and a credit to the industry. However, a good song's a good song and a good album's a good album. Regardless of any measure of discipline or hard work on the part of the artist. Amy Winehouse, along with producer Mark Ronson and those awesome Dap-Kings made a heck of an awesome record. I'd be scared to spend more than ten bucks to see her in concert, unsure of her abilities to make it through a song, much less an entire show, but I'll buy Back to Black over and over again to ensure I've always got it close by. Whatever she's doing now doesn't matter. It's what she and everyone else involved did in the studio while it was being recorded.

Anyway, that was the best Grammy Awards Ceremony I've seen in years. It hardly felt like an awards show at all. Just awesome performance after awesome performance. Blueprint 2008 and repeat, please.

2 comments:

Leesa said...

I felt the same way when I heard that.

No matter what's going on in her life at the moment, she still is a talent and she put work into her music.

I liked her performance at the Grammy's :)

S said...

A fricken men baby! I totally agree with you. Amy is one heck of a woman.