Sunday, July 19, 2009

Maybe I'll just be a truck driver.

Aside from the idea that properly backing up in one of those things to loading docks across the country seems like the most impossible thing to accomplish for a guy like me (I'm rarely perfect when backing up valeted Toyotas into their spots), I've recently been enjoying the fantasy of traveling the highways and biways of America. Making more money for my good family and listening to Tom Waits, Johnny Cash and public radio while keeping my eyes on the road seems like a beautiful thing to a guy like me.

Of course, I know nothing about vehicle maintenance so if it's important that a truck driver knows how to fix his truck, I'm sunk. Still, it's cool to read the wonderful blog The Daily Rant and see her beautiful photos and read her interesting tales from the road. She introduces you to the blog with these words:
"Born and raised in New York, I now drive an 18-wheeler, traveling the country with my very handsome boyfriend, Eddie. I have been to all 50 states, 11 Canadian Provinces and 3 Mexican border towns. I love waking up every day in a new place and being able to visit family and friends at any time along the way. What a life!"

4 comments:

The Old Man and His Dog said...

I often have the same thought about driving a truck. I love to drive places. I remember driving from NJ to MT and back in a week and loved being on the road. Drove straight thru from SD to NJ and loved seeing the sunset driving all night and seeing the sunrise. Was awesome. Just listening to music the whole time and taking in the sights.

The Daily Rant said...

Thanks for linking to me! I think you should look into the driving thing....the school I went to was in Lebanan, TN - right in your neck of the woods! Plus, there are lots of local companies that can get you back home. It's just a thought....with travel and decent money to boot!

The Daily Rant said...

Oh...one more thing....since you also take such great pictures...think of the photo opportunities!! :)

Anonymous said...

A better idea than going to school and learning vehicle maintenance would be to beat the hell out of her handsome boyfriend Eddie and take his place in the front seat...

I'm just trying to help, man...

---Your father