Thursday, July 30, 2009

"She needs lots of love."


That's what sweet Ari said about her sister Sammie in the video that this frame is from. If only I could fix whatever is keeping me from uploading video (or uploading photos to Flickr, or accessing iTunes Store...), I'd share the clip here. It's sweet but there's something about how she looked at the camera as she said it that is hard to describe. It was instructional but melancholy, like tenderness as if filmed by M. Night Shyamalan.

That's one of those gifts we get as parents. We see these moments and we just analyze the heck out of them. We get to study on them and wonder how much of the adult that the kid will eventually be we are peeking at right now. The moment passes and we wait for the next one, like the pages in a mystery novel where we don't turn them ourselves but merely wait for a gentle breeze to do it for us. I just hope that I'm paying attention the next time the wind blows. I don't want to miss anything.

Anyway, Ari is right. We all need lots of love.

3 comments:

The Old Man and His Dog said...

She's right I could use some right about now.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is...just wow...

Anonymous said...

if you changed a couple of words
around, that would make a fantastic
beatles song! LOL - or at least a
phrase from it.
Ari has to be the sweetest child
ever, and i'm not saying that just
because i'm her grandmother! she's
just exceptionally sweet towards
everyone, even Joshua when he might
play too hard with her.
and she's so very right - we all
need a lot of love right now -
maybe now more than ever before.
my cat Freddie is dying and it's
breaking my heart. he needs Ari
over here to love on him some.
lots of love - mom