Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Long Day, Indeed...Or, UPS and Downs

Monday night in my home, my family and I are all doing what we do. Paige and Christian are in the living room watching TV and Joshua and Ari are asleep in their beds and I am perusing blogs. It's 10:30 at night and so we are not expecting the doorbell to ring. But ring, it does. Just a bit cautious and curious, I go to the door wondering who in the world is ringing my bell at this hour. A friendly neighbor? A crazed killer? Neither. I open the door to see the UPS guy getting back into his truck and there is a package at my feet.

UPS delivers at 10:30 at night? I pick up the box and look for my name. Oops. Richard Smith. Wrong name and address. I catch the driver just as he's about to drive off and he exchanges for the correct package.

I try to make small talk with the guy. The poor guy doesn't even look up; he just makes a polite, tired smile and says, "Sorry, it's been a long day." It's been such a long day, it's not even day anymore! I tell him no worries and I hope he gets home soon. I watch him as he drives off into the night, and I think poor Richard Smith is going to hear his doorbell ring at about 11:00.

No comments: