Saturday, December 29, 2007

I love to feel that Fernandina Beach sand between my toes.



Well, I didn't take my shoes off this time, but my beautiful wife and I did at least make time for a nice walk on the beach.

It was kind of the whirlwind trip this year. We couldn't afford to go and so I didn't ask for any time off from work. That was a major downer for us. She was sad to miss Christmas with her family and I was sad because I knew how much she really wanted to be there. Thankfully, her mom sent us a check and I happened to have the 24th, 25th, and 26th off. I clocked out from a ten hour driving shift at work at midnight on the 23rd, got into our van thirty minutes later, and we made the drive to Florida for the next 9+ hours. (By "we," I mean "her" since she prefers her driving to mine. I follow in my father's footsteps and drive a bit too slowly for many people's tastes.)

We pulled into her mom's apartment complex at around ten o'clock Monday morning and zombied our way through the day while visiting with so many of my wonderful in-laws. (One zombie pictured below.)


Christmas was as beautiful as any Christmas should be. The kiddos had a blast and happiness and joy were in abundance. Pictures of said kiddos are on display at Paige's blog.

Thankfully, a friend worked my Thursday shift for me and we didn't have to drive home as early as Wednesday after all, so Paige and I got a little of that beach-walking time in that is always so important to a Tennessee landlubber like me.

More later maybe. I've gotta get back to the grind.

(Here's a nice piece on Amelia Island in Louisville's Courier-Journal.)

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

Your kids are cute! Stopped by Paige's blog to check them out. Glad your family had a nice Christmas.

Who's that handsome young man in this photo?