Sunday, December 02, 2007

Your Super Bowl Halftime Act?

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, as reported in USA Today.

I don't know. I've seen them live a couple of times and always left thoroughly sated. They just don't seem to me like an obvious choice for the big halftime show. As much as I love them, I can't think of any one song of theirs that brings the excitement and energy level that I associate with high profile appearances like this.

It's more about the spectacle than anything else, right? Last year's featuring Prince was awesome. The Rolling Stones were perfectly suited for 2006's show. U2 was awesome in '02, and even though I'm not a big fan, Aerosmith sharing the stage with Britney Spears rocked so much that I still remember it vividly all these years later.

But Petty? I'll enjoy it, but I wonder about it still. To be silly, maybe he can make some relevant, team-specific song choices:
  • "Yer So Bad"
  • "Even The Losers"
  • "You Got Lucky"

1 comment:

Leesa said...

I've seen Tom several times in concert and really did enjoy it.

But I agree..seems like an odd choice for Superbowl halftime.
Maybe he'll be playing alongside my Cowboys :)