Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Serious Thoughts on Barack Obama and his Speech, "A More Perfect Union"

She of luminous beauty and deep, caring thoughts, Ginger, posted tonight about Obama's failure to address his pastor regarding certain sermons that he disagreed with until they made headlines and forced the issue. She makes good points about why this gives her pause about a man who just might be the right choice for our country.

Typically, I stay away from writing about politics. It tends to bring out the yelling and name-calling in some folks, and my tendency is just to want people to be happy. Ginger's post inspired me to share my humble opinion in her comments and I thought I'd repeat that comment here. For what it's worth:

That’s a good point. I guess it’s not enough to shake my support for him, but I wonder if he regrets having not spoken to his pastor about those words he disagreed with.

On another level, hearing Obama’s speech today brought me closer still to him as a leader with both intellect and compassion. Who knows? Maybe we’re lucky that this whole thing happened just so we could hear a political figure speak so eloquently about racism and our continued problems with it. I can’t think of another politician who would have been so forthright about a topic such as this.

One can only imagine the temptation in his campaign to just “denounce, denounce, denounce” and then distance Obama from Pastor Wright as quickly as possible. Instead, he used the opportunity to speak at length his thoughts on the subject and pretty much stayed with the true Christian spirit of “love the sinner, hate the sin.”

Thanks for making me think about this. Your blog always make for a wonderful and important read for me.

1 comment:

GingerSnaps said...

gasp! I am so touched by your description of me.

You truly made my day. Thank you.