Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Healing the Divide: A Concert for Peace and Reconciliation

If there is a higher purpose to this CD, I admit that I am only in for the star power. Tom Waits and Kronos Quartet collaborate on four of the nine tracks to perform three of my favorite Waits tunes, "Way Down in the Hole," "God's Away on Business" and "Lost in the Harbor." The final track is the previously unreleased "Diamond in Your Mind."

The recording is from a 2003 concert and CD sales will benefit the health care of Tibetan Buddhist monks and also will serve to raise awareness of humanitarian crises.

Waits' always wonderful quotes on his participation in the Buddhist cause:
"I'm no fool. It's a spiritual insurance policy. Hell, at my age, the next group I put together, everyone may be playing a harp. All kidding aside, I owed His Holiness a favor. He did all my papers in school."

No comments: