Friday, May 04, 2007

Sanjaya!

I'd be no good at typical water cooler conversations. I work nights and never watch TV when most of America does. I have no TiVo or any other kind of DVR. What I know about pop culture is what I read about in blogs ("Yesterday's news, tomorrow!!")

For a year or so, people at work have gone on about a show called "Lost" and I have had no interest in it at all. That is, until last week, when a co-worker said something about a new arrival to the island and a certain thing she said to the stranded characters. Now I'm intrigued. But it's probably too late for me to try to start watching it and follow it properly.

This is the first season that I have not watched "The Sopranos" and I am feeling like I am missing some of the best television out there. For the first few seasons, I had HBO and watched it weekly. For another season, I dated a girl with HBO for the exact length of its run. Perfect. Then, for a couple of seasons, I didn't have HBO or a girlfriend but I was a bit of a gym rat (no evidence of that anymore) and I timed my late night workouts to watch it while on the treadmill. Last season, a friend taped it for me. But now, I have no resource for it at all and I feel a void. (Help? Somebody?)

I've been home with the kids for the last three days and while I can't engage in conversation on topics ranging from "Survivor" to "American Idol," I can tell you exactly what's going on among the characters of "Maggie and the Ferocious Beast" and "Go Diego Go."

Oh, and "American Idol" fans will be pleased to learn from me that a guy named Sanjaya is coming to Nashville Arena on July 11. I guess I do know something worthy of water cooler talk after all.

2 comments:

Lynnster said...

I got behind in all the HBO & Showtime I was watching (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Queer as Folk) about midway thru Season 3 of SFU, so I fell REALLY behind.

When I opened my Netflix account last year, that's what most of my queue has been - series I either fell behind in, or wanted to watch but didn't. I had already cut off SHO/HBO for lack of use a while ago, and last fall decided to cut off cable altogether and just up my Netflix account a little bit.

I have discovered that I REALLY like being able to watch an entire season or half of a season of the HBO/SHO series in a weekend - or at least having them here to watch and catch up when I want to. Granted, I have to wait a little bit - i.e., the last half of the last season of The Sopranos should be released soon, I'm watching the first half now - but I really like watching all those series this way. I finished up SFU & QAF this past winter, and much of my queue right now is other HBO/SHO stuff I was interested in.

I really, really like watching those series that way and I don't know that I'll ever go back to "usual" TV watching at this point. The only network show I'm watching right now is Survivor, and I watch it online on CBS' website late Thursday nights or Fridays. I much prefer being able to watch stuff when it's convenient for me, and I wish more of network TV would be broadcast online.

So if you can stand to wait a bit, the Netflix option might be a good one for your Sopranos quandary - when this final season's released, you could probably watch it all in the course of a trial membership and thus not have to spend much!

Whoops, didn't mean to write a book there, but anyway.

Heidi said...

are you water-cooler ready with talk of how awful Sanjaya is? i don't watch american idol, but it's a regular topic on the view. they say he can't sing, but the little girls love him, and he sure has that cute androgeneous thing going on.

other water cooler talk: don't believe the nasty things they say about rosie o'donnell. she doesn't pick fights, nor does she rant. i'm kinda glad she's not coming back to the view...that's 5 hours less tv for me to watch...