Sunday, January 20, 2008

Live from Public Computer #8!

I'm at the Hermitage library. It's so weird to have no computer at the house right now. I'm at peace with not being able to check emails or blogs or whatever when I'm at home, but it's the little things that pop up that find me feeling the laptop's absence the most. I watch a movie and want to know where I saw an actor before and there's no way to check. My dad asks if the football game is on Saturday or Sunday and I feel the impulse to log on to find out. Log on to what though.

I've handed the broken laptop over to a friend who may or may not be able to fix it. He's helped me out before and the best news is that he only charges me a 12-pack of beer - cheap beer - for his services. We'll see. It sounds like it's likely a lost cause, but like Johnny Cash sings, "I'm busted," and all ideas are on the table.

I also have a desktop sitting in storage that may be salvageable. I can't even properly recall why exactly it's there. Viruses, I think. Anyway, I'm also wondering if when it comes time to buy a new one, if a desktop would give us more for our money. The laptop has been awesome, but we really don't travel enough to need something mobile. We just need the best machine possible for our limited money.

My friend likes Tiger Direct. I live pretty close to a Computer Renaissance. There are lots of options, I suppose. It's blogging from the library until we figure out which way to go.

:)

(It's the downloading of podcasts I miss most.)

4 comments:

Pen Ultimate said...

You just need a hard drive and an OS?

Dang, I can hook you up!
.

holly wynne said...

Every time you mention living in Hermitage, I wonder if I crossed paths with you in Publix or wherever during the few months I lived there. Probably not, but it's a really nice thought.

holly wynne said...

P.S. Just do what you have to do to get a computer. Just do it.

Heidi said...

it should be possible to get a cheap new computer for $400 (and you don't have to go to Walmart for it). So don't go looking for a used one and pay that much.