Thursday, September 15, 2005

HNT Bukowski


Back in the winter and early spring of 1990, I would hang out in downtown Nashville, trying to figure out where I was going in life. This was before the revitalization of our downtown. All that I really remember of the area was this little bookstore on 2nd Ave. I would browse there from time to time and buy children's books for my son who was to be born the coming April.

One day, as I was strolling the aisles, one title seemed to beckon for my attention. Its title was simply, Women. Written by someone named Bukowski. Never heard of him. Within a few months, I bought everything I was able to find from him. His writing was perfect for me, and he went well with cheap wine.

These 15 years since have changed me so much. But it seems that the arts and media that I discovered then have really resonated with me. Formative years, indeed. And so, from the top shelf, I post this week for HNT a perfect book with a perfect title.

To Charles Bukowski, "Thanks for sharing."

14 comments:

lecram sinun said...

very cool.Ihave a friend who is also a huge Bukowski fan. cheers and happy hnt!

Belly said...

books and nekkidness...can't go wrong with that!

Happy HNT!

CheekyMoo said...

This is a great picture, with a great story. You captured a feeling perfectly. So to you, I say thanks for sharing. Happy HNT.

Wenchy said...

"His writing was perfect for me, and he went well with cheap wine."

Brilliant line that.

Unknown said...

Great Pic! Happy HNT!

Scott & Julia said...

That's a great shot! Gonna have to check out this author.

aughra said...

Goes well with cheap wine! That's great.

... said...

women? how can a man write about women? grrrr.... feminist rant coming on - oh and hope you don't mind if i objectify your nakedness...

Robin Alexa said...

You made me smile! Good job.

chez bez said...

Thanks for the love everyone. And thanks to Osbasso for starting this whole thing. It's a gas sharing these bits and pieces of ourselves, both physical and cerebral.

Be well.

sdk said...

Ooooh...I've got an idea for next week's HNT!

Happy HNT!

sdk

Marianna said...

Very nice...

Happy HNT to us all!
M~

Spinning Girl said...

0.5 Nekkid smarty!

Robin said...

Nicely done! Happy HNT!