Friday, September 02, 2005

I've Heard That Song Before

While driving to work today, I was playing Aimee Mann's Whatever on CD, a very nice gift from my friend Sam. This disc was released back in '93 and while I've been a fan of Aimee's for a long time, I had never heard Whatever in its entirety. I got to the song "Way Back When" and it sounded very much like another song I had listened to recently. I couldn't put my finger on it for a few minutes, and then it hit me. It sounds very much like "Would You Believe" by The Mavericks, released a good ten years later.

I don't know if the towerrecords.com snippets give justice to my thoughts, but give them a listen and see if you don't agree a little bit. They are both pretty simple but very affecting songs. In fact, "Would You Believe" might be the simplest song on that great Mavericks album, but I remember playing it about five consecutive times when I first heard it. Good music will always mean so much to me.

No comments: