Thursday, March 23, 2006

Bryter Layter, Better Layter Than Never

I am 36 years old and consider myself a very passionate fan of music. Having worked in a record store for a time in the 90s, my ears were made larger by the wealth of new sounds I was always hearing. I longer needed to rely on radio to know what was out there, thanks to the record company reps who were always feeding me promotional CDs and cassettes of each week's Next Big Thing. That helped me gain a more eclectic taste in music and a more well-rounded appetite for the diverse and beautiful sounds of so many different genres.

I now work at a hotel, but thanks to the internet and places like Grimey's and Phonoluxe, I know how to dig deep and rely on the recommendations of others to find new music to add to the soundtrack of my life. I know the old stuff and I welcome the new stuff. But every once in a while, I stumble across something old that I have never heard before. And from time to time, it knocks me out so much that I am slightly embarrassed that I have only recently found it.

That is the case with Bryter Layter by Nick Drake. Of course, I am familiar with Nick Drake, but by name only. Somehow, I had never heard his songs until just the other night. Wow. I am in love with a new collection of songs once again. Except these songs are new only to me. The album was released in 1970. How did I miss this? It's my new favorite. I feel the need to buy a bicycle and an iPod and listen to this as I bike around the prettiest parts of Nashville. But I think I'll need to grow my hair longer to get the fullest possible experience. This music speaks to my inner hippie. And it sounds great.

2 comments:

BB Logan said...

Yeah baby... that's what I'm talkin' bout.
**wink**

chez bez said...

I really want to get out to hear you sing sometime. Give me a heads up as soon as you know where you will be.

I work nights and I usually find myself working on the nights that you are singing. somewhere.

And thanks for your cool and kind words. They have lifted me more than you might know.