Friday, March 10, 2006

Texana Grill, Welcome Back!

Perusing the job listings in the back of All The Rage today, I saw that Texana Grill was hiring. I'm not interested in working there, but I sure am interested in eating there. It was such a staple for my dining pleasures back in the mid-90s. When it closed back in '97, I couldn't fathom why. It seemed to always be packed. Texana Grill was a favorite for so many Nashvillians, but one day it just closed up and left us wondering why.

In 1995, Deborah and I would go there each and every Sunday. We had our favorite server (Stephanie), and we always had a great time eating there. That relationship didn't last, I moved on, married, and don't miss it at all. But I missed Texana Grill. My wife and I did go there a couple of times before it closed. (Depending on who you talk to, it was our first date.) It was at Texana Grill that I first kissed my wife's aunt on the lips (I swear I didn't see that one coming), and was thusly welcomed into a family who puts having a crazy good time above most other endeavors.

I'm not an outdoorsy guy, but I kind of felt like one when I would play horseshoes just outside the front door while waiting on a table. My wife and I played horseshoes on our first visit there together. I'll have to ask her tomorrow if I won or if I let her win. And appropriately enough, it was at Texana Grill where I drank my first Shiner Bock beer. When it reopens, that'll be my first order.

To Texana Grill, I can't wait for you to open again. The steaks are great and the staff is fun and friendly. Let me know when you are ready, and I'll mark my calendar. And just so you know, I like mine medium-well.

4 comments:

Titusina Andronica said...

I can't wait, either!! And I like MY steaks rare, tyvm. ;)

Kat Coble said...

I was just whinging on my blog a week or so ago about how I missed Texana.

I'm so GLAD they're coming back....

Anonymous said...

yey for texana grill! I'm looking forward to eating there once again.

Don't squeeze the Charmin said...

and sadly, Texana is gone again. what the heck happened?? i know the first time the owner was struggling with running Texana here and the other in Arlington, his family life was suffering. Then the kids moved out and he and the wife decided to move to nashville and open up the restaurant again. now... who knows.