Monday, March 06, 2006

What Color Are Your Books?


My delight tonight was huge. After watching awards shows all day long (Independent Spirit Awards, Academy Awards), I scrolled through the TV listings a bit and found a nice little surprise.

About three or more years ago, Comedy Central ran a little British comedy called Black Books. It was a quirky show about a cranky, alcoholic of a bookshop owner who loathed people, especially customers. In steps Manny, who soon becomes Bernard's employee. A good bit sunnier, but with his own anxiety disorders and 'fabulous hair', and the two make for a hilarious, if not totally wrong for each other, pair. A neighboring shop owner named Fran is the third character in this wonderful comedy.

It ran for a short while and then was gone. From time to time over these years, I have looked for it to no avail. Never finding it on DVD or VHS to purchase, I finally gave up on it a few months ago. But tonight I found that BBC America runs it pretty often. And just for me, I'm sure.

So, thanks to BBC America for giving me Black Books again. And to my wife, I'll leave with this one quote from her favorite episode: "Ow! I sat on meself!"

2 comments:

Titusina Andronica said...

I just love british comedies! I'll have to check that out. :)

Anonymous said...

Another one to check out if anyone has access to it is Little Britain.

Hilar.