Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Six Of Note

These might not be the six greatest singer-songwriters ever, but they are probably the six greatest singer-songwriters that far too few people know about. And they are certainly among my personal favorites.

Don Henry
Geoff Baker
Peter Himmelman
Michael McDermott
David Baerwald
Mark Germino (no website)

[Edit to add: The problem with lists like this is that someone always seems to get left off. I woke up this morning and it occurred to me that I had forgotten about Nashville's finest, David Olney (on myspace). It's only been a few times that I have been lucky to hear him live, but each time he has absolutely owned the room with his beautiful and stirring yarns of characters real and imagined.

One more than one occasion, I have brought a friend who had little or no interest in the artist and was just tagging along with me to tag along with me. Each time, by concert's end that friend would be asking me all kinds of questions about David Olney and where to buy his CDs. If for no other reason than "Jerusalem Tomorrow," he is one of the best that Nashville has.]

2 comments:

John H said...

David Baerwald and another guy named David (i'm too lazy to do the search) made a criminally overlooked CD ten to 15 yrs ago. that sucka holds up..

DB is a great writer, but my fave on that list is Henry. Wow..he can sing it too!

chez bez said...

Right on, John. The other David is David Ricketts and that Boomtown record is indeed still among the best.

Don Henry used to shop at a record store where I once worked. One of the nicest people I've ever met.