Friday, November 24, 2006

Flattery Will Get You On The Blogroll

I am thankful for the person who got me to start blogging in the first place. I had read a few blogs beforehand, but the one that inspired me to start my own was Brittney's Sparkwood & 21.

She was a local girl working in the service industry (waiting tables) just like me (hotel bellman) and I found myself looking forward to each new post. Her blog is what got me hooked on this new medium and I soon decided that I may as well jump in and be a part of this whole new blogging thing.

Brittney, of course, landed herself one of those jobs that simply didn't exist a few years back. That in itself is pretty cool. I wonder how many people out there are working jobs that hadn't even been invented while they were in high school. Day in and day out, Brittney keeps all of us bloggers neatly aggregated and blogrolled. She reads our rants and our tributes, our political viewpoints and our very funny posts.

Quietly, I am a part of this fun and exciting community. Brittney, you probably didn't know that you inspired me to start blogging, but you did.

Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Lynnster said...

I took a lot of breaks from blogging after 2000-2001 or so, but took an entire two years off at one point and was away from the online world in general a lot for that time. During the period I was away, the blogging phenomena just exploded.

When I got back to being more actively online and started picking up some blogs to read regularly, I actually found Brittney's blog thru someone totally-unrelated-to-Tennessee's blog. The S&21 title piqued my interest (since I'm a Twin Peaks fan as well) and I think the other blog had mentioned she was in TN. So that was one of the first ones I started reading regularly - at that time she was still waiting tables too. She was definitely part of the inspiration for me to get back into it all and get active again!

And I just think NIT and others like it are awesome. An outlet that used to be sort of solitary has grown into this real community and I think that's fabulous!

Newscoma said...

I think Brittney does a good job and takes a lot of heat sometimes.
I dig that she appears to take it with a grain of salt, but I also know we are all human and sometimes it has to sting.
She helps us all get to know each other, and for that, I'm grateful.
A toast to Brittney, we raise our glass.

Anonymous said...

One of the things I admire about Brittney and how well she does her job is she does not shy away from being herself. I don't always agree with everything she expresses, but, man, I would not have the guts to be so much myself on that platform. I'm barely getting to where I can post an opinion on my own blog without flinching and worrying I'll offend somebody.

I've been blogging, regularly, for a year this month. Neil Orne was who got me in it. I saw the mentions of NiT on Channel 2 and one of the first NiT blogs I remember reading and loving was Rex L. Camino.

Anonymous said...

What a flatterer you are. I am happy to know that my blog inspired another one. That pretty much makes the whole thing worthwhile. (Not that there aren't lots of other worthwhile things about it.)

I'm just sorry Sparkwood & 21 ain't what it used to be.