Saturday, February 03, 2007

More On Prince

I read recently (in this great review) that Prince, a devout Jehovah's Witness, still plays "Sexuality" in his 3121 concerts. However, he changed the lyrics and title to "Spirituality." Well, it's his song and he can do with it as he likes, but I just cringed a bit to read that. I think I'd rather him just not perform it at all if he has to change it so much just to be comfortable with it.

I'm reminded of a time when my dad and I were walking along Myrtle Beach way back when. We came across a band playing a small show for about 60 people or so. It soon became apparent that it was a Christian band. But rock is rock and we hung around a bit to watch them play. The band soon launched into a cover of Jim Croce's "Leroy Brown." My dad and I shared a look and we knew we were wondering the same thing. How were they going to handle the whole "baddest man in the whole damn town" part? Well, they handled it all right. Apparently, Mr. Leroy Brown was still a bad dude, but he was the "baddest man in the whole downtown."

Ugh. They meant well, I guess. But it was time for Dad and I to roll our eyes and get on with our walk. If you gotta change it to play it, you might just want to skip it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prince is artistic, and to change his art isn't really a materpiece anymore. Sad. You're right- if you have to change it- you really should just skip it. I wonder how the superbowl halftime will go for him?

Nashville Knucklehead said...

That's the same version of "Leroy Brown" we sang in my first grade music class back when it was a hit on the radio.

Anonymous said...

If you want to hear really bad altered lyrics, go on youtube and search for the "Baby Got Book" video.

As for Prince, it's his song, and he has every right to change it as he sees fit. It's when other people take license with someone else's song (like your example) that I have a problem with it.