Friday, August 31, 2007

My iPod currently has 547 songs on it, but right now it only needs one.

I might have been a bit overly critical of Springsteen's latest the other day. It's not that I have changed my mind. "Radio Nowhere" really is a pretty basic tune as compared with his more far-reaching works. But here's the thing. It's the most catchy damned thing I've heard in a long while. If I had to pick an earlier album that it would most likely belong to, I'd say it most reminds me of what I heard on his Lucky Town / Human Touch releases from 1992.

The song is produced fast and gritty. There's no flash -- just dash. Sing that verse. Hurry up with that chorus. Sax, stat! Another verse. That's a wrap! It comes in at just 3:22, but feels like half of that duration. I've probably devoted over 90 minutes to listening to "Radio Nowhere" over the past few days. There's no such thing as silence for me right now. Even when the iPod is turned off, the song just plays over and over in my head. It's a good thing I like it as it doesn't seem to be leaving me anytime soon.

On September 4, Amazon.com will play the video for free. It's shot in NYC and features the E Street Band. Marking my calendar...

No comments: