Sunday, September 16, 2007

Futile, but funny in retrospect.

I just spent a few minutes arguing with a two-year-old. She wanted her juice in the green cup. The green cup was dirty, but the purple cup was clean. She only wanted the green cup. I explained to her that it didn't matter what color the cup was, that the juice would taste just the same in the purple cup.

For my next worthless conversation, I'll discuss the writings of Bertrand Russell with the dog. At least she pays attention when I mention dogmatic doubt.

"I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine."

"It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go."

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."

Bertrand Russell (link)

No comments: