Monday, July 10, 2006

Closing Time? Please?

The stress continues. After the long, somewhat documented process of selling our house while trying to find a house to buy closer to our workplaces and settling on an apartment because the timing just wasn't working, things finally seemed to be coming together. We would close on our house on June 30 and move into our new apartment on the same day.

And then, with all of our stuff in the truck and ready for the haul, we got a call from our agent. They buyer's lender had dropped the ball and the closing wouldn't be ready when previously stated. Struggling financially already, this call was not well received by us. Were we now responsible for a mortgage payment AND a rent check at the same time? We were assured that all would be settled by the 10th, and before our mortgage payment could officially be considered late. We were told to go about our plans and not to worry about it. We would close on or before the 10th and it wouldn't be any big deal.

Well, here we are looking at July 10 and I have to be at work in an hour and we have heard nothing from anyone so far today. We have called and gotten people's voicemails. I am stressing. Broke as we are, our credit is actually very good. I don't want to look at having a late mortgage payment hanging over our heads when we try to buy again once our lease is up. And I really don't want to borrow money from someone, even though she is happy to lend if needed. I guess I can fall back on her generosity and pay it back as soon as the closing happens. But still.

I am not trusting this.

[Update: The call came in. The closing is not happening. We're screwed. And hearing the love of my life fight back tears on the phone as we just try to make it is my new least favorite sound. She doesn't deserve this.]

7 comments:

Kerry Woo said...

Hang in there! You'll be OK...

melusina said...

How frustrating! I'm sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. Things have a way of working themselves out, and hopefully they will for you as well.

Sharon Collie said...

I'm so sorry.

AWE said...

That sucks.

Linda said...

I don't envy you one bit - after 4 months without working (and almost two now without pay), I can relate! Hang in there...

Vickie said...

I thought that the buyer HAD to close on the closing date that is stated and agreed upon in the contract. I also thought that if the buyer did not meet their end of the bargain as stated in the contract, then the buyer is responsible for any financial penalty (such as your rent payments that accrue until the closing is final and the mortgage pmt on the house that they WOULD have been paying had the closing occured when it was supposed to. If none of this is the case, then I clearly need to re-read some of the real estate books I've read.

I hope things get better very soon. I can just imagine how very stressful this is for both of you.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»