Tuesday, July 04, 2006

New Lease On Life, Less Time On The Road

My daily commute to work is approximately 35 minutes long.

Wait. That is no longer a true statement.

My daily commute to work is approximately 12 minutes long. If I can hit the lights right, it'll be even shorter. The best part of it is that I drive over a dam about three minutes into my drive and have the most fantastic view of the lake. And the drive home at night is pretty sharp as well.



I'm looking forward to more time for family, more time for writing, and just more time not driving. Apartment living as a whole isn't the greatest, but I do like the fact that I have two pools and two health clubs available to me in my apartment complex. I like the fact that I have a jacuzzi and a dry sauna at my disposal. And most importantly, I like that I don't have to maintain a lawn. I never took to that part of home ownership pride. Although I have to admit that I shouldn't complain about that one too much. My lawn was very small and I usually just had my teenage son do it.

Anyway, here at Apartment Living, I look forward to meeting some new friends and enjoying a richer social life than I found in the suburbs where no one ever seemed to do anything but either cut their grass or stay inside and watch TV. Three days down, 362 to go on our one year lease here in our new home. So far, so good.

One more thing on the big move. Today, the day after we officially finish moving all of our stuff, the move in which none of my "friends" showed up to help, my local paper had a feature story on tips for moving. (Beautiful and comic timing, indeed!) The story is here, but the part that really soaked in was this:

AVERAGE WEIGHT
The average weight of interstate shipments is 8,000 pounds, which is what the contents of a typically furnished three-bedroom home would weigh.


8,000 pounds? Elder Son and I moved 8,000 pounds? We loaded and then we unloaded 8,000 pounds. Ladies, the line to feel my muscles starts here. No pushing please.

(Edit to add: I just hit spellcheck to check for spelling errors and none were found. But Blogger did take exception to the word "jacuzzi." It suggested that maybe I meant "jackass." Um, nope.)

3 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Great post. Wish I had such a pretty drive to work, though mine's more like 7 minutes.

Financially tapped-out after the first two years of getting my new house in order, selling the place and getting an apartment with a pool and a jacuzzi sounds pretty darned good right now.

And 8,000 pounds is a lot! Did you do it all in one load?! I'd get in the end of the line, but I can't even see it. I'm butting into the front.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations on the move and I hope you enjoy apartment living.

are you closer into town now then? I probably missed information but I'm not sure if you ever specified where you were moving to.

either way, yay!

AWE said...

I moved to a much smaller yard and mowing still sucks.

I agree it is nice to have a short commute.