Saturday, April 19, 2008

CERN was open to the public recently.

Oh, how I wish I was there for that. Thousands of people got to tour the site, learn about the technology behind it all, and see that big, beautiful Large Hadron Collider that has had me so transfixed for the last year or so.

The headlines are all about the chance that scientists will accidently create a black hole which will instantly suck us all up and put an end to life as we know it. The actual chances of this occurring are so minimal that it's ridiculous to even mention. What we could stand to learn about those mere seconds In The Beginning -- after The Big Bang -- interests me and excites me to no end.

Dennis Overbye writes about it in the New York Times today. Read his article here.

I love the CERN pictures at flickr.

No comments: