Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Joys of Buying Music from Real People

Walking back to my car this afternoon after buying Caitlin Rose's EP, it occurred to me how happy I was that it wasn't available on iTunes. Unable to click a button for instant download on my computer, I was forced out into the world to make said purchase. Once I arrived at Grimey's New & Preloved Music, I noticed how little available parking there was. Busy for a random Tuesday afternoon, I thought. Well, maybe not a random Tuesday. R.E.M. and Moby both had new releases today, but it still seemed like something more might be going on.

So I parked in a neighboring business's lot and made my way to my local record store's back entrance. Outside its doors on the porch, people were hanging out and talking. The temp was nice and seemed perfect for just that. Folks were killing some time and talking whatever (probably music) with friends, probably sipping Yazoo and enjoying the moment. Anyway, I made my way up the stairs and into the door to find quite the crowd of people gathered together waiting for live music to happen. Now all of the cars made sense, yet another free artist performance at Grimey's. Amidst the bins of record albums were fans of Nashville's own (since '93 anyway) Matthew Ryan.

I walked past the fellow music lovers, found Caitlin's CD, and paid my five bucks (worth every penny). Before leaving to finish my errands, I stuck around to hear Matthew Ryan sing a few songs. Every part of me was happy in the moment. I didn't know anyone and I made no connections with anyone there. Yet I felt more in place there right then than almost anywhere else I can think of.

Leaning against a CD bin, I thought about my current appreciation and the potential of such a social setting as this. With iTunes (which do I love), I could have had the music I wanted but I wouldn't have stumbled upon this beautiful live music. I wouldn't have shared physical space with people who probably share the same obsession regarding music as I do. iTunes robots can generate further recommendations for me depending on my purchase, but they can't match the joy of talking about an artist's work with the clerk behind the counter of the retail record store.

With their good prices, friendly and knowledgeable staff, and frequent free shows and events, Grimey's does it right. They don't just sell product. This is retail destination. I'm always reading about the fantastic live shows by recording artists, be they local or passing through. Check their photos page for a sample of the many in-store performances that have rewarded fans here over the past few years. With any luck, I'll have the 19th off to celebrate Record Store Day at Grimey's which coincides with their semi-annual Big-Ass Spring Festival and Outdoor Sale.

2 comments:

holly wynne said...

This makes me SO happy and miss Nashville SO much. Excellent.

Anonymous said...

That is a truly awesome experience and feeling. I still have to frequent Park Ave CD's here in Orlando just to get back in tune with the atmosphere. iTunes is great for right now, but buying a CD, getting in the car and ripping the package and reading the booklet are just a few of life's little wonders.