Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My kids are NSFW

The kids are eating lunch peacefully together as I sit on the living room floor reading your blogs. They've been at each other all morning and I'm really enjoying this break from settling disputes over who gets to play with whose toy.

Now they're playfully jabbering away at a comfortable noise level and all is well. But... it suddenly occurs to me that there's a word I hear that should not be coming from their little mouths. I perk up to make sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing. "Dammit." Back and forth, they are repeating it to each other in the sweetest of voices. Crap. Time to get back to parenting.

Me: Hey! Kids...

Kids: What?

Me: Do not ever say that word. Where did you hear it?

Joshua: Nowhere.

Me: Um. No sir. You heard it somewhere. Otherwise you wouldn't know that word. Where?

Joshua: I heard it in my Ninja Turtles movie.

OK, I have no idea if this is possible. Did they utter that word in one of the Ninja Turtle movies? I just go back to a lecture about how they are not to say that word. Then his little sister pipes in.

Ari: I heard it on Dora.

Me: No you did not. I am absolutely sure that Dora would never say that. She is a good girl and good girls don't say that word.

Of course, I'm not so sure about Swiper though. I wouldn't put it past him.

Ugh. I don't know where they heard it. I'm sure I've been careless a time or two, but that's typically not my go-to cuss word. Mine's worse.

My wife however... ;)

Anyway, lunch is over, the bad word is behind us, and they're watching Dora quietly together.

I'm listening to every word.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my stars!! they may have heard it over here. i've tried to be a
good grandmother but my language is
rather foul at times having been
with bobby for over 20 years. i
could have said the d-word or more
likely much worse than that and not
even realized it! well, you and matthew grew up ok after hearing
bad words your whole lives. i'll
try to be good whenever yall come
over next time. love - mom

Anonymous said...

I hear you! Happens around here, too! And that Dora! Who would have thought? ;)

Malia

Anonymous said...

Luckily my daughter was easy enough to correct on these words - telling her once that it (whatever word it was) was an "adult" word and that she couldn't use those words until she was an adult worked. I've never heard her say one more than the first time since she was 2. She is 9 now.

Anonymous said...

My oldest was saying "Moonshine!" for a while...we're still not sure how he picked that one up...