Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sadly, Scarlett Disappoints

So that Scarlett Johansson album I was so excited about? The one where she covers Tom Waits songs? I heard three tracks from Anywhere I Lay My Head this morning and have determined that it's crap. Sorry. I wanted to love it, but I don't know what the hell she was trying to do here.

I've heard her sing before and she's got a nice voice. This, however, is an album produced to hide her voice, as if she's just not capable at all. Kinda like the way producers approach Britney Spears' records, except here with early '80s recording technology.

Click over to The Eyeball Kid [Edit: Songs have since been removed from their source.] to hear the three available tracks. The only one that I almost like is "I Wish I Was In New Orleans." Backed only by music box with emphasis on Scarlett's interpretation of the words, it kind of works.

To hear a superior album of Tom Waits covers, check 1995's Temptation by Holly Cole. Smoky, sexy, and oh so soulful. Exactly what I was hoping for from Scarlett.

No comments: