Sunday, April 13, 2008

Peter Himmelman is playing Lollapalooza this year. Well, kind of.

This year's Lollapalooza show in Chicago looks to be one of the best yet with a lineup that includes Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Kanye West, Wilco, and The Raconteurs.

I perked up with surprise to see Peter Himmelman's name on the list. Of course this year there's a kids stage (Kidzapalooza) and that's where he'll be. I love him mostly for his more heady, adult material but it's the kids stuff that's given him the most attention in recent years. It's interesting to me to see how he's cultivated this measure of success by finding his niche. While an introspective and thoughtful song like "Beneath The Damage And The Dust" is among my favorites, my kids prefer his song called "Feet." (I think "Feet" is pretty awesome, too.)

Anyway, I guess it says something about Lollapalooza's age that they even have a Kidzapalooza stage. It's been seventeen years since that first one and many of us who were at that first one have families now.

This brings to my memory a quote from the cool blogger at Sitting Still about a Dan Zanes show she and her family attended in Asheville. A friend of hers came back to where they were sitting and said, "I just ordered two Newcastles and two juice boxes at the same bar. It was weird."

No comments: