Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Born with wings and a fear of heights."*

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due." Or so sayeth author and priest William Ralph Inge.






Geoff Baker has posted a new song entitled, "Not To Worry." Anything Geoff writes has my full attention. And with a title like that, well, I just trust that he's going to speak to my heart of hearts as his songs so often do. "Worry" may as well be my middle name, but I promise that I don't lose sight of the good that I have so close to me at all times. I think of my ever-loyal wife, by my side day-in and day-out, always kind and always forgiving. We're like our favorite song as covered by John Prine and Iris DeMent with the following lyric: "We're not the jet set, but ain't we got love."



Meanwhile, the kids are healthy and happy. They grow, learn, struggle here and there, and keep making me proud. I know how to be a good parent because I had good parents (five of them over the years). The kiddos know that they are loved and they know that life is easier when they do the right thing. Or at least, I do my best to remind them of that fact.



While things could be easier financially (and how!), other things are certainly more awesome than I could hope for. I'm weary, but thankful. Here's to trying to remember not to worry.



*Title taken from the song, "Not To Worry," by Geoff Baker.

3 comments:

Bar L. said...

Good post. Every time you feel tempted to worry, come back here and read your own words.


I forgot you shaved your head. I think if you grow your hair back you will worry less because your brain will be warmer.

holly wynne said...

:)

Anonymous said...

It's okay to be a worrier if you have someone like that ever loyal wife of yours to rub your back, take your hand and relieve you of it for a while.