Friday, June 27, 2008

There goes one idea.

In planning ways to get to and from work other than by car, I was told by a friend that there was a bus route that stopped near my home. It doesn't run as late as I work, but I could ride it to work and just get a ride home afterward with a friend.

The bus route in question was #16. It turns out that it's one of the routes that has since been discontinued.

Oh well. I should have a bicycle at my disposal sometime next week. Whether or not I'm brave enough to ride it the six miles to work each day along Bell Road and Elm Hill Pike, I'm not sure. However, it'll be a pleasure to take it out onto the Nashville Greenways and ride the bike from Percy Priest Dam to Two Rivers Park to Shelby Bottoms Park.

In the meantime, the focus remains on getting the transmission fixed for the van. I have a buddy at work who says that his car's transmission has been doing what ours has recently started doing for a good six months now. Is it possible to extend the life of a bad transmission for a bit? Ivy told me that she kept hers going for a while by flushing it regularly. I'll have to look up exactly what that means.

Anyway, I'm just tossing around some thoughts and ideas here. Maybe Oprah will read this and simply buy us a new car. It can be just that simple, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you can come up with something that helps tide you over. If, perchance Oprah buys you a car, do you think you could mention my name? I don't need a car, but I could use a bunch of other stuff, and she has all those "favorites" just stacked up somewhere.

Anonymous said...

There are 2 ways you can change your transmission fluid- the regular way where you drain it out and then refill, or the "flush" method where you have to take it to a shop that has a flushing machine. You want the flushing machine. It should cost about $100, give or take. So, expensive, but a hell of a lot better than replacing a transmission.

Most general auto repair shops should have a flushing machine, just be sure to ask if they offer a transmission flush as compared to a drain and fill which won't help. HTH!

peach said...

Michael,

Don't know if this will help or not, but I do have a guy's mountain bike w/helmet sitting in my garage. Remnants of a relationship from 2005. It's yours if you would like it! It's just taking up space in my garage! :)