Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past."*

Ever been to Lieland? While driving home from work last night and crossing the dam, the most recent episode of This American Life played on my iPod. Entitled The Truth Will Out, its three segments shared the topic of lies and the first one quickly took hold of me and held me captive to its words. Actor Dermot Mulroney read "Lieland," a short story written by Etgar Keret.

As if following some subliminal message from the podcast, I followed orders and made a right turn into the parking lot overlooking Percy Priest Lake, pulled into the first spot, turned off the engine, and took in the moon's reflection over the water while listening attentively to Mulroney's hypnotic voice come from the darkness of the dash.

I'll give you a little spoiler. "I'm your first lie," says one character in the story to another. Imagine meeting all of your lies. I don't think I want to do that.

Here's thinking that cool folks like Newscoma will love giving "Lieland" a listen. It made my night.

*from "Tango Till They're Sore" by Tom Waits

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If all my lies were to confront me in a dark alley, it would not be pretty.

Bar L. said...

sounds very interesting, I will check it out!