Thursday, June 05, 2008

Overheard at the Workplace: Politics

Last night, one hotel guest says to another:
"He speaks well, but I don't think America's ready for a black president."
Seriously. I cringed when I'd hear that talk even a few months ago, but I was able to understand that some folks still thought that way. But now? After he beat Clinton for the Democratic nomination nod? It doesn't even make sense that someone could say that out loud and expect to be taken seriously.

Also heard, this time by a young coworker:
"I'm not voting. The first time I ever voted, it was for Al Gore and the (expletive) thing was rigged. (Expletive) it. I'm not voting."
I understand him completely. I'm voting, but I think what my coworker said sums up way too many people's attitudes perfectly. I don't blame him one bit.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

A friend of mine wrote something similar on his blog today (very cool guy:

http://jwondering.blogspot.com/

Anyhow I just cut and paste my reply to him here, you just answered my quuestion

Maybe my question here is ignorance, or maybe because of where I live I don't experience racism first hand - do you think race is really the issue? I just can't believe that there are people in the USA that would choose not to vote for someone based on their race. That confounds me. It does not compute!!!!!

As for gender - I do think there are people in this country that would base their vote on gender. I know a lot of women wanted Hilary BECAUSE she's a female (who care's what her policies are - this is a gender war!!!)

I swear this stuff just blows my mind.

Anonymous said...

If you ask me I think "w" has shown that ability has nothing to do with race or economic standing.