Friday, July 04, 2008

Die Soldaten

Alex Ross, music critic for The New Yorker, wrote on his blog tonight about an extraordinary event that should be of great interest to opera lovers everywhere.

German opera Die Soldaten is being performed at Lincoln Center this week. I'm reading up on it and watching clips online. I would love to see it, this previously deemed 'unperformable' opera, due to both size and complexity. I am, however, many miles south in Nashville, remaining tickets are in the $150-250 range and attending such an event is far beyond my financial reach. Alas, I'm one of the "common people" and thus I will keep my seat in my Hermitage living room, watching a Dylan documentary and sipping from my new Bud Lite Lime. (Quite tasty.)

That's cool though. William Shatner and Joe Jackson know my pain. Here's "Common People" featuring Ben Folds on keyboard.

I love this song. It's been out there for awhile, but I first heard it yesterday on WRVU. Thanks to Ashley for playing it on her show, Alphabet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps the DVD.

http://www.ruhrtriennale.de/en/online-shop/dvd-cd/dvd-die-soldaten/

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Funny how life works. I once worked for a very big insurance company in the HR dept.. The head of the dept was a member of the opera at Lincoln center and never had time to go so he was always giving away the tickets to whoever wanted them. I took them one time and took my daughter as we only live like an hour away from NYC. We hated it and left at intermission and went to Burger King and then came home. Those tickets went unused so many times.