Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Listening to "Die Fledermaus" and feeling moved to know everything about it.

Enjoying some solitude this morning, listening to opera on the television and reading blogs, I perked up to hear the line, "Anything you can do, I can do better." Before today, I only knew that song from a Gatorade commercial featuring Michael Jordan and Mia Hamm in 1997.

I looked around this morning to see just when the song was written: 1946, for "Annie Get Your Gun."

How it fits into "Die Fledermaus," originally composed by Johann Strauss in 1874, I have yet to figure. Despite not knowing the story, I'm finding that this is a very entertaining operetta. It's very playful and obviously this performance I'm hearing took the liberty to take that bit from "Annie Get Your Gun."

And now I'm off to the library to learn as much as I can about "Die Fledermaus," as if Wiki, YouTube, and everything else underneath the Google sun wasn't enough. Apparently, I can get a bit obsessive about music and information.

Have a nice day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't know the opera connection. Sadly my first thought when I hear it is a 6th grade choir recital.