Thursday, August 14, 2008

State of Shock

While listening to the Coverville podcast tonight, I got a real treat. Remember "State of Shock," that funky duet between Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger? I learned that it was actually co-written by Michael Jackson and Queen's Freddie Mercury. Somehow, somewhere, Coverville's very cool host found the demo version of those two singing it. (YouTube link.)

True, the rawness of Mick and Mike together is still the version that works best for me, but this original cut is quite special in its own regard. I don't recall exactly when it was recorded (released in '84 on The Jacksons' Victory album), but it would have fit perfectly among Queen's more disco-sounding Hot Space release from 1982.

If I'm not careful, I'll end up watching Freddie Mercury clips on YouTube way past my bedtime. Enjoy your day and enjoy this ridiculous photo of me, preferably while listening to Hot Space.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

as you well know, i think that
freddie mercury is the coolest
thing since sliced bread! in fact,
i've been listening to him for the
past few weeks.
love - mom

LeBlanc said...

I too have been listening to old Queen videos on YouTube. I also lucked out & TiVo'd an old Queen concert on VH1 Classic. There is not much better than those boys.

Bar L. said...

Unique shot of you. Like it.

LOVE Freddie, can't blame ya. Its amazing how the time can fly when on Youtube!

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Saw Queen with Aerosmith back in the day. A one point in my life I owned every Queen album made....even "Flash Gordon"! No one plays guitar like Brian May! No One!

Unknown said...

You know, you're reminding me more and more of Daniel Nester -- he's a colleague of mine who writes nonfiction essays and is Obsessed With Queen. He keeps up with Queen so that I don't have to:

http://www.danielnester.com/labels/Queenspotting.html