Sunday, September 24, 2006

Music That Moves Me (or, Music That I Move To)

I've had my iPod for about a week or so now, but last night was my first time I used it while exercising. I ran/walked (heavy on the walk) 2.5 miles on the treadmill and lifted weights of enormous heft. On the road to being healthy, wealthy, and wise, I'm feeling good about getting 1/3 of that accomplished in the health club.

But most importantly, those couple of hours of sweaty solitude afforded me the opportunity to be alone with two of my favorite albums: 1992's Triage by David Baerwald ("Our love affair ended, the day she tried to kill me.") and 2004's Know The Rain Here by Geoff Baker. I picked these two albums on purpose. I wanted them to be the first two to break in the iPod for its intended purpose. Why? I'm not really sure. I can only say that they affect me warmly and really resonate with me. Maybe I just feel smarter for listening to these clever songwriters.

I do wonder why music seems to affect us so strongly. And I am reminded of an interesting article that wonders the same. Courtesy of The Boston Globe, the article: Survival of the Harmonious. It's a good read.

No comments: