Thursday, September 28, 2006

N.B.S. (Nervous Blogger Syndrome)

I'm sure there is a more clever title in there somewhere, but I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them.

I work for a place and I also have a blog. I just checked my sitemeter page and found that someone is viewing my blog from work. If it's a fellow employee, I simply wonder who. If it's an employer, I wonder why. The good news is that I don't really write about work and I certainly don't use the name of my workplace on here. The bad news is I don't know how sensitive my workplace employers are about workers who blog. I don't want to get fired for writing about music I like.

Or maybe the unexpected will occur and I will be called into H.R. tomorrow. Only instead of being fired, I'll be offered big bucks to maintain a corporate blog. Wouldn't that be special? Regardless, I hope that the workplace reader likes it. Or, more importantly, I hope that the workplace employer doesn't care one way or another.

Anyway, it's time to close and go to the Mothership for lunch.

7 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Oh, I hope you get the big bloggy job, and you're so overwhelmed that you have to hire blogger underlings, and I will apply, and you'll give me a salary making 4 times what I'm making now, and I'll move to TN and blog for money, but you'll still be making more cuz you're had BlogBigCheese.

I had a coworker ask me something they could only have known through reading my blog, the other day. It was surprising, but OK.

Sam Davidson said...

I got a few guesses who it could be, but I'll save those for an email.

Marianna said...

I guess as long as you don't blog FROM work & you don't mention your company, you should be ok. I can't imagine an employer having issues with blogging, especially if you're not involving your workplace in any way.

At least, that's what my twisted mind hopes. LOL

M~

Anonymous said...

Just remember that freedom of speech and expression are guaranteed to you in our Constitution.....

xoxo,
M

Ashleigh said...

i worry about that too! how do you get a sitemeter?

p.s. did you make an ipod picture yet?

Newscoma said...

Chez,
I don't blog from work, my publishers know I blog and don't value it in the least.
Of course, I work for a newspaper and they don't think the internet is going to last.
My suggestion is to remind them freedom of speech.
Of course, remember what happened to Jon over at Crap and Drivel.
You talk about your life and most folks are dissatisfied with our jobs to a degree but you don't write about it.
I think you'll be fine.

Anthony said...

Wondering if you moderate your comments...if you do you'll see this one and maybe come have a look as I wrote something related to this issue a post or two ago.

As long as you're not writing about work you can't be fired. Freedom of speech don't ya know.

Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!