Friday, August 04, 2006

Always The Way

We just made the switch to wireless here at Chez Bez, and the ability to move about the house with this thing is really cool. But a seemingly related problem is that the Rhapsody music service I love so much is not streaming like it should. I'll play a track and find that 40 seconds into it, the music stops. The stream is just not fast enough lately. This happened late last night and again this morning. How can I hear how boring The Boredoms really are if I only hear bits and pieces of their songs. And I want like anything to hear if this band called Beirut is really worthy of all of the internet hype they have been receiving. I was able to hear Persephone's Bees before the issues started and I give them a big thumbs-up.

But back to the streaming issue. I called Comcast to talk to someone about it to determine if it was connection related or not. The icon shows an "excellent" connection with a speed of 54.0 Mbps, but I don't know if that tells the whole story. So I make the call. And I wait on hold for a couple of minutes. And just like the car that makes the horrible noise all the way to the mechanic's garage but sounds great as you pull in, Rhapsody just started flying again as I waited on the phone.

I guess I should have stayed on the phone anyway just to see what the tech would say, but my rehearsed script was now facing a serious rewrite. I hung up. And now it's slow and phohibitive again.

Beautiful. Guess I'll turn my radio to WRVU and get ready for work.

Times like this, I recall Warren Zevon reminding us to "enjoy every sandwich." And I smile and go about my day. I can always call Comcast again when I get home from work tonight.

No comments: