Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I'm Sharing A Fifth With Tom Waits

More to the point, I am sharing August 5th with Tom Waits. He'll be onstage at Nashville's famous Ryman Auditorium and I'll be 16 rows back with a stupid grin upon my face. To the best of my recollection, I discovered his musical wanderings in 1990 while working in a record store. One night, I popped in Heartattack And Vine or Nighthawks At The Diner and I have been hooked ever since.

Not too long after discovering this masterful storyteller with the voice emotive and strong, Bone Machine was released. Unlike anything I had heard him create before, it was percussive, wild, and unrelenting. I knew that I had found an artist owned by no simple defining niche. His musical spirit gets younger as his skin gets older.

Here's his setlist from last night's Atlanta show. His own son on drums and Duke Robillard on guitar, and Tom doing what Tom does. I'm damn giddy about seeing him live.

1. Make It Rain
2. Hoist That Rag
3. Shore Leave
4. God's Away On Business
5. November
6. Til The Money Runs Out
7. Blue Valentines
8. Lucky Day
9. Tango Till They're Sore
10. House Where Nobody Lives
11. Don't Go Into that Barn
12. Whistlin' Past The Graveyard
13. Ninth & Hennepin
14. Trampled Rose
15. Get Behind The Mule
16. Murder In The Red Barn
17. Shake It
18. Singapore
19. Goin' Out West
20. Day After Tomorrow
21. Heartattack And Vine
22. Johnsburg, Illinois
23. Chick a Boom

[Edit to add: pics of the show from accessatlanta.com]

2 comments:

newton dominey said...

dammit.

Newscoma said...

I really am jealous.
Very, very jealous.