Thursday, August 17, 2006

Claire Suddath Is My New Favorite Writer

I can't remember how I first discovered Claire Suddath. She has had a few radio shows over at WRVU. She writes for the Nashville Scene and its blog, Pith In The Wind. She had a short lived literary rag named Illiterati. And I'd bet that there are one or two other outlets that I am forgetting.

Anyway, I've always loved hearing her on the radio and whether it be a little blog post or Nashville Scene column, her writing has always been good stuff. Clever and funny, I can always count on Claire to make me smile when I read her work.

Well, she has raised the bar. She wrote the cover story for the August 17 edition of the Nashville Scene and it's stellar. It's called Eaten Alive and it addresses a friend's struggle with bulimia and anorexia. This is the stuff that inspires people - some to be writers and some to look at their own challenges with eating disorders. I'm in the first category. I want to be this good.

I strongly encourage everyone to read it uninterrupted. A few nights ago, I heard Claire on her radio show, I Like Songs (click to listen), giggling and struggling to correctly pronounce "Helsinki." Tonight, I read her cover story and wondered how many people will see themselves in this and attempt to get help and live a healthier life after reading her powerful and caring words.

Good stuff, indeed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't even know anyone actually listened to the radio show! And now you like the cover story too. Thank you so much (again!). Keep listening/reading!

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire!

This is Itty.
Where are we??!
Did you know that bullfrogs' ribbit is called a jug o' rum? I just found that out, that's weird to me. I wonder what the story behind it is.

Anonymous said...

I really miss Claire's column, Planet Claire. Lets start a letter campaign to get the Scene to bring it back.

Kat Coble said...

Congrats. I picked up the scene today and saw that they printed your letter to the editor. Good on ya!

Anonymous said...

Great writer. My gosh I just read her "25 Things I Didn't Want to Know About You" and I loved it. It was one of the funniest articles I've read this week.

Anonymous said...

While the 25 things meme is endlessly narcissistic, it isn't exactly becoming to believe you're above it all.

Anonymous said...

I found her 25 Things article to boring and pointless - like a one-liner joke with 24 extra un-funny punchlines. You and Sarah Silverman should team up...

David Rosen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Rosen said...

Here are 18 random tweets about Claire Suddath :) http://www.creatingitchy.com/2009/02/18-random-tweets-about-claire-suddath.html

Anonymous said...

I read the "25 things" and its follow up and laughed. Maybe even out loud. I caught a lot of the outcry against Claire for writing this and that made me laugh even more. I went out to find more Claire Suddath and found her take on the Dragon*Con convention back in '05 (http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=5688) and now she is my new favorite writer as well.

Anonymous said...

Claire Suddath has few credentials except a not-surprising tight connection to the chemical food industry. That she uses her post at Time to pimp artificial sweeteners is the norm in America. She is a mediocre pseudo-journalist whose livelihood depends wholly on her willingness to shill for Monsanto & co.