Thursday, August 10, 2006

Eight Years Of Foreshadowing. The Man Who Would Be Cash

While watching 1997's U Turn on television the other night, I enjoyed a scene where Joaquin Phoenix's character tries to start a fight with Sean Penn's hapless passerby in a diner. Just as they find themselves standing chest to chest, seconds from angry fists flying, in walks the sheriff. His appearance prevents the fight from happening...for a bit.

But the music that swells as the sheriff makes his entrance? "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. The camera holds a short, tight shot of Mr. Phoenix's tough face and I see the Oscar nominated mug of the man who would later portray Johnny in 2005's Walk The Line.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

That's so cool. I love picking up on little tidbits of trivia. Yes, I am a trivia nerd.

AWE said...

I thought he did a very good job in Walk the Line. I was amazed that he wanted to sing the songs.