Wednesday, October 17, 2007

From Tuva to Dread, Led Zeppelin Rocks. Always.

From All Songs Considered's August 24, 2006 podcast, Tuvan throat singer Albert Kuvezin and band Yat Kha take on Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks."

I like it but I have to admit that by tackling such a rock staple, it sounds a bit like a novelty item. Tuvan throat singing sounds more interesting when it remains completely separate from anything I've ever heard.

I think I'll just listen to Dread Zeppelin instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should check out cracker's version of when the levee breaks. it was one of the outtakes from encomimium, i think it wound up on the garage d'or collection. it doesn't happen often, but i think i like their cover more than the original.

Sara Sue said...

Tuvan throat singing rocks! What an amazing sound from those guys! I actually met a TTS a few years back. His voice filled the room.