Saturday, October 13, 2007

Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog comes to The Basement

Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog will perform at The Basement this Friday night at 9:00. I work this Friday night until 11:00. Ugh.

Marc Ribot has brought his fine and expressive guitar work to stellar albums by Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, and The Lounge Lizards. I've bought several of his solo albums over the years and loved them all. His first, Rootless Cosmopolitans, still takes me back to that time, in 1990, when my music ears were at their biggest. Nothing was too strange and everything was beautiful.

Now I'll have to see if it's at all possible to finally see him live as he brings Ceramic Dog to Nashville. Here's hoping for a very late start to the show.

From the Marc Ribot website:

Ceramic Dog

Thank you to everyone who came to Ceramic Dog concerts in Europe in March. The band will be back in Europe for another tour next year.

Ceramic Dog
1. chien du faience: expression: frozen with emotion, as in the perfectly still moment before a fight breaks out.
2. Ultimate kitsch object.
3. A free/punk/funk/experimental/psychedelic/post electronica collective, featuring Marc (Cubanos Postizos, John Zorn, Tom Waits, etc etc), plus two of the best young players on the New York/California underground improv/experimental rock scene, Shazad Ismailly (bass) and Chess Smith (drums)
4. Not a 'project': a real band.

"Marc Ribot's new power trio, filled out by the remarkable versatile rhythm team of bassist Shahzad Ismaily and drummer Ches Smith, is his rawest band in ages." (TimeOut NY)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, those guys sound awesome. Wish I could check them out.

chez bez said...

Yeah. I may have to feign illness near the end of my shift Friday night.

Unless, of course, my bosses read my blog, in which case I would never do such a thing.